Tuesday 15 November 2011

Assignments 2 & 3 - Owls.


First Illustration - These are the first drawings I've ever done in digital, apart from a few masterpieces in windows 95 'Paint' when I was younger. I have always wanted to learn how to draw in digital, since technology has improved so much, and a different crisper feel can be achieved, I thought it was worth an attempt. I would like to do my entire project in digital, but this wouldn't be experimenting very much. 

I started simple, with black lines and a white background, as I feel these are the key elements to illustration. A lot can be learnt from the simple art of drawing a collection of lines. I've found that its easy to draw curved shaped, as Illustrator Cs5 seems to feather the lines that I draw, making them neater and not so wobbly. 

I used my wacom graphics tablet, I already had it as I use it for editing photos, as I'm typically a digital photographer. It was interesting to ditch Photoshop Cs5 and move onto Illustrator Cs5. It was hard to get to grips with the programme I wasn't accustomed to, but I think Ive picked it up on this simple level. 

I thought I'd design some owls as they are stylised and fairly simple to draw. I worked out how to pull them apart into simple shapes and then reconstruct them. There is more to think about when drawing in digital, but there is always ctrl + alt + z. (move back a step) I think its important to know keyboard commands as it frees up your hands a bit more, and saves time.

No comments:

Post a Comment