Tuesday 31 January 2012

Assignments 2 & 3 - Ink Experiments

I haven't drawn in ink since 2007, I took life drawing lessons and we were encouraged to work in Indian ink, I remember it being very messy, and a very unforgiving media. Since what I'm doing has no time limit, no one is modelling for me, I'm using my imagination and at most a Google images page for reference, I have as much time as I like. My experimentation is to try out ink, and if it can give me the aesthetic quality I'm looking for. It gives an old fashioned handmade quality to an image, which is something no matter how expensive the pen, cannot achieve. I decided to use fountain pen ink, the 'Quink' refill as it was available from the stationery shop, and meant I didn't need to make a trip to an art shop for actual Indian ink (which is a lot more permanent if spilt).


I practiced with what marks I could make first, and then started with some little simple owls. I then moved onto cats and rabbits. I found it quite easy to sketch in the ink, to go over my images to correct them, and then do a final version with little or no mistakes. Smooth clean lines is what I'm looking for with the tattoo design, and there's also a part of me that wants to experiment with my own style and work out how to draw in my own way. I feel it's important to know how to draw in different styles as it allows you to change the way you draw for different reasoning, and to have diverse outcomes.













No comments:

Post a Comment