Monday 6 February 2012

Assignment 3 - Cute Research

What is cute? Answers on a postcard.
Warning excessive cuteness, follow the links with care.
This is simple illustration and animation at its best, Simon takes inspiration from his cats in everyday life to inspire him, he creates simple illustrations that are amusing and adorable. I love the 'Mow' sound the cats make in the animations when they are hungry.

This is an internet source that is widely referenced in contemporary popular culture, its mainly visited by office workers, students and people who like cats. It shows photographs of cats in cute/adorable circumstances with text captions that are funny.
 
This is an offshoot from Lolcats, its pretty much the same but this time it is filled with people posting photos of baby animals, without captions. Anything that makes you want to say 'squeee' to yourself.
Gemmas illustrations are lovely, she's a main inspiration to me, I adore her work, it's simple stylish and effective.
This is just one of those magazines that are full of little gems, its delightful and very feminine. It is very homely and relaxed and always has some really well executed illustrations to follow its little articles, this is my favourite
Laura Callaghan - Hamster

These are a few things that in my mind are cute.  I have a very limited span on my outlook of cute, I know what I like, and it may or may not actually be popular cute. Being from the UK, I do not have a complex about myself to be 'cute' but in Japan it is a very idealised situation. Women and girls have started to have warped senses of what would make them cuter, such as bigger eyes, or whiter skin. Or even changing their eye colour to blue. This is something I have researched and I would like to turn away from the kawaii movement, as I do not like its ideals or sociological principles. I'm going to focus on animals, not eyelid surgery  for Asians to make another crease to look more westernised, I do not think that is cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment